On the occasion of the new book “Imperialismo y Derecho Internacional: Historia y Legado” and the visit of its authors Antony Anghie, Martti Koskenniemi and Anne Orford, the universities Externado, Rosario and Los Andes as well as the History Section of the Latin American Society of International Law, the Network on Rethinking International Law Teaching in Latin América (REDIAL) and the Red de Aproximaciones Postcoloniales al Derecho Internacional have joined in a collaborative effort to convene a three day symposium on “Rethinking and Renewing the Study of International Law in/from/about/ Latin America”. The event looks to address three main topics of concern: 1) the colonial/postcolonial heritage and structures of international law in the region 2) the revised or untold histories and historiography of Latin America ́s international law 3) the past, present and future of teaching international law in the region and its relation to both its colonial/post-or neo colonial dimensions as well as its history and historiography.
The aim of this collaborative effort is to revise the developments within these fields, to engage in critical reflection and discuss the need for future research, as well as to publish the best papers presented at the symposiums.
Submission of Proposals and Timeline
– Paper proposals may be submitted in Spanish, Portuguese, French or English and presented in either language but we cannot guarantee simultaneous translation for all events. Proposals should include the day in which the applicant wants to present, a 500 word (max) abstract description and a biographical paragraph of the applicant ́s education, current institutional location, and relevant publications.
- Email to: email@example.com
- The deadline for submission of abstracts is 3 April 2017. Selected participants will be notified by 3 May 2017.
- Participants must submit draft papers by 1 August .
- We are not able to offer airfare for participants coming from abroad but we may be able to offer some informal accommodations in homes for participants who request it.
– We will publish the best papers in the journals of the sponsoring universities.